Visit The Alliance Homepage

Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 07:52:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
26415 Posts in 2743 Topics by 486 Members Latest Member: - casscamden Most online today: 73 - most online ever: 281 (July 08, 2008, 08:04:09 PM)
+  The Alliance Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Ask a Question
| | |-+  methadone & egypt
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: methadone & egypt  (Read 8038 times)
sapphire
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »

I have taken methadone to loads of countries due to work and always carried a doctors letter.

With somewhere like Eygpt,as it is so unstable at the moment and as Simon has called the embassy and they flat out do not let methadone be brought into the country I would seriously reconsider this.

If they find the methadone on him or in his baggage they could refuse you entry to the country and they would probably confiscate the methadone. Not nice to be stuck in a foreign country with a potential language barrier and him ill from lack of methadone.

Can you not talk to him and just tell him that you know? Surely once it's out in the open it would make you both happier - him for not having to lie about taking it and you not having to pretend that you don't know he's still taking methadone and using occasionally. It seems like it would be a whole lot easier for both of you if it's out in the open.

I used to worry and worry what would happen if my parents ever found out about my drug use - as it turned out when they did find out it was the best thing that happenned to me for ages as they helped me deal with a lot of stuff, I think we build these things up in our minds to a worse possible case scenario when sometimes it can be just the opposite and to not have to lie or evade the truth from each other would probably be a big relief for both of you?

Ultimately whatever you do, I hope it work out ok for you.
welsh lady

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »

I know what everyone is thinking - just tell him you know and be done with it -I really wish i had the courage to do that and be that gung ho but we rub along well together -yes there are times quite a few when i get upset that he cant be honest with me .but....
derek d j

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »

I know what everyone is thinking - just tell him you know and be done with it -I really wish i had the courage to do that and be that gung ho but we rub along well together -yes there are times quite a few when i get upset that he cant be honest with me .but....

Aw, fuck. True love ways. His hard work and devil-may-care confidence deserve good luck. Looks like the die is cast so not much you an do except try not to worry. 
derek d j

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 06:47:47 AM »

Harumph.  I've been 'smited' for 'making light of Welsh Lady's problems'.

I hope she knows I'd never do such a thing.  Just don't see the point of coming over all heavy and avuncular, that's all.

My comments come in reaction to the earnest peops who take it all so seriously and give her advice she cannot possibly keep.  Smart, reality based stuff like call for a chat and leave your husband.  Telling you how 'paranoid' he must be.  Walk like an Egyptian.

And of course such folk are those who do the smiting.  To protect innocent Welsh maidens, of course.  Just like a good cop should.  Me, I'm a lover not a smiter.  Raise a politically correct fist at me and I'm gone.  Without even a joke for the road.

Sorry but I'm outta here.  I'm too thinskinned to stick around and let some self-righteous fuck insult me some more.  You can think well of yourself, uncle, now you've pushed another flippant flibbertigibbbet off the site.  Spout your superior stuff without challenge, it all comes out in the wash.  

Enjoy your hols, Welsh Lady, I rather like the cut of your man's gib.  So, I suspect, do you.
welsh lady

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »

woah-Sorry if I have caused upset to anyone I dont want to offend or upset anyone I come on this to learn and ask the odd question sometimes, its the only place I can do that with anonymity and I always get the reply and support I need,I am not an expert on these things and I live day to day with his dependency and the more I learn the more support i can give him in my own round about way,so I am sorry if I have upset anyone i didnt mean too,and thank you all again for your replies and support .
simon

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 10:03:20 AM »

I think i'd not want to go to Egypt at the present time as it is. When I visited a couple of years ago there were lots of check points and men with AK47's the Hotel had guards and the hotel next door appeared to have been blown up and they had metal detectors at the front door of the hotel. Egypt has a fair old history of popping off tourists. I'd not want to upset any part of the law in that country. I tried to gather information from the lady who I phoned but she really sounded like she thought I was scum for even asking the question about methadone.
It's renowned for fiving people food poisoning at the best of times and I hope I never go to the place again. I went with my eldest brother and he also has no plans to go again.
sapphire
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:58 AM »

Harumph.  I've been 'smited' for 'making light of Welsh Lady's problems'.

I hope she knows I'd never do such a thing.  Just don't see the point of coming over all heavy and avuncular, that's all.

My comments come in reaction to the earnest peops who take it all so seriously and give her advice she cannot possibly keep.  Smart, reality based stuff like call for a chat and leave your husband.  Telling you how 'paranoid' he must be.  Walk like an Egyptian.

And of course such folk are those who do the smiting.  To protect innocent Welsh maidens, of course.  Just like a good cop should.  Me, I'm a lover not a smiter.  Raise a politically correct fist at me and I'm gone.  Without even a joke for the road.

Sorry but I'm outta here.  I'm too thinskinned to stick around and let some self-righteous fuck insult me some more.  You can think well of yourself, uncle, now you've pushed another flippant flibbertigibbbet off the site.  Spout your superior stuff without challenge, it all comes out in the wash.  

Enjoy your hols, Welsh Lady, I rather like the cut of your man's gib.  So, I suspect, do you.

Oh Derek, don't disappear off into the sunset, my mornings won't be the same without you.
simon

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »

Yeah chill Derek, we all appreciate your input.
derek d j

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 02:42:50 PM »

O.K, maybe it's the nuclear weather or something.  But I've been thinking the 'karma points' are a bit dumb for a while.  Peops can make their minds up about who's worth a read without their doubtful guidance. Some of the best posters on site score poorly when it comes to the equivilant of Facebook friends.

If your glass is half empty and you want to rail against the unbelievable lightness of my being, get deconstructionist down'n'dirty and rip me apart on thread. Don't push a long-distance button and make it sound as if I mock an unspecified victim or send indecent pms to Welsh Lady. That's like snipers, not quite cricket. 

Methadone is a banned substance for import into Egypt. But chances are the worst that can happen is WL's husband will be refused entry and they'll have to abort their hols. Whatever the fella's faults, she loves him and it's highly unlikely she won't go on holiday with him. All else is meaningless sentiment or speculation. So what "problem" didn't I take too seriously?
Fluoro

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 06:18:09 PM »

Why don't u just go on your hols & enjoy youself. I understand your trepidations about being straight with your fella, but by mentioning codeine to him-if I was him, I'd be well onto u knowing about the methadone. If he takes it he will get methadone tablets, my advice is for him to carry them in his hand luggage.
Lelee

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »

This is ringing alarm bells for me. If the methadone was discovered the boyfriend might not  just have it confiscated, there is a very real risk he could be arrested for possession of, or smuggling an illegal substance and thrown into jail.

I have no real knowledge of the prison system in Eygpt but imagine it's a hell hole and I am aware there are human rights violations causing concern currently. 

Is it really worth taking this risk?

Sorry to be so harsh but I am talking from experience although the situation was different and involved another country. I wouldn't be able to live with my conscience if I didn't warn you. The consequences could be dire.

Linda
OP8S

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

I'm not sure what dose your man is on WL, but with what Simon says ( not the popular game ) If I were him I would ask my prescribing GP to prescribe me some other form of medication for the time you're away. If the customs don't recognise the medication then their is more chance of them letting it through. I'm sure somebody who had chronic pain issues, or a terminal disease would get through if they were prescribed maybe fentanyl patches or MXL. It's down to your man to sort things out with the GP though & of course his GP has to be an understanding type of fellow. Personally I'm surprised that the situation between you & your man still exists. You obviously love him & he loves you. Like you said you get along fine without any bother, I think you would both get along much better if there were no secrets being kept. Everybody's different though, what works for you & your man may not work for others. I've always found honesty between partners in a relationship to be very important, for me anyway. It's what you build trust on. Good luck & I hope you enjoy a trouble free holiday. I'd be sh$tting my pants all the way there if my medication was not carried as hand luggage, you only need to watch the tv to see how baggage handlers " handle " your baggage...that's if it arrives at the same destination as you do! Good luck.

" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell
welsh lady

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »

He really does have a devil may care attitude and each holiday we have been on its been in his hold luggage ,just had a look in his hididng place he is on 85 per day but not sure that he splits his dose as when he has a shower at night he takes that little bit longer and i can here him rooting about ,and the bottle says physeptone on it not methadone ,well all i can do is emphasize more and more that it is illegal to take anything dodgy to egypt on the plus side I am on a drug and alcohol awareness course next week with the local drug dependency agency for 2 days so i can bring it up after i have been on it with him then ,as for a sympathetic DR no he is not that at all in fact he is an arse when one of the local heroin addicts went to his emergency surgery one saturday morning rattling to the max he was told that it was his fault and sent packing with paracetamol!!!!well hopefully he will see the light and ask for tabs off his councilor or at least a letter -I bet he has crapped himself in the past when we have gone always wondering if his cases will come through and not get lost ,i know i have for him!!!
Anyway I will let you know how we got on thats if I have not had a nervous breakdown by then!!!!LOL Roll Eyes
welsh lady

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 06:03:01 PM »

I have just had a mini brainwave -would i be allowed to phone his councillor and ask him to ask my bf ina round about way wether he is going on holiday and where to and when my bf says where he is going he could strongly suggest to him that he takes tablets and a letter with him? would the councillor have to say that i phoned and told him that i knew or if i appealed to the councillors better nature that he wont say anything to him about me ringing I know it sounds farcical but i am clutching at straws here!!
ursula
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:07 PM »

Hi all.

I'm emerging briefly from maternity leave to say two things:

1) Egypt's got some harsh penalties for drug smuggling, which is how they'd view this (doctor's note notwithstanding).  This includes the death penalty.  Please don't risk it.

2) I've killed Karma.  It's used too rarely to indicate much about posters on the site and has caused some arguments which might have been avoided if concerns had been raised by email.

Ursula

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: